National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission is the agency of government that is saddled with all matters relating to wages and salaries of workers in the public sector. The Commission in pursuant of its mandate and in performance of its statutory functions, engaged in a number of activities in the year 2007
- Review of salaries in the public sector;
- Salary inspection of the public sector;
- Survey of jobs in the Federal Public Service;
- Price Movement Survey of the National Economy;
- Development of Databank on wages, incomes and prices.
REVIEW OF SALARIES IN THE PUBLIC SECTORS
In the year 2007, the Commission recorded a number of achievements. These achievements impacted positively on the economic well-being of workers and retirees in Nigeria. The impacts were as follow:
- The Commission provided technical assistance to the Draft White Paper Committee on the reports of the Salaries, Wages and Emolument Relativity Panel and Presidential Committee on Consolidation of Emolument in Public Service which led to issuance of circulars on Consolidated Salaries Structures and Foreign Service Allowance in January, 2007 by the Commission.
- The Commission on request, examined and reviewed the remuneration package of some parastatals. These included Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT), Nigerian National petroleum corporation (NNPC), Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), Petroleum Equalization Fund (PEF), Federal Airports authority of Nigeria (FAAN), among others.
- Also, the Commission reviewed request for implementation of monetization, salary adjustment and placement from the following organizations.
– Nigerian College of Aviation Technology Zaria (NCAT)
– Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC)
– Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN)
– National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND)
– National Gallery of Arts
– National Pension Commission (PENCOM)
– Rural Electrification Agency
– Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA)
– Voice of Nigeria (VON)
– Office of the Surveyor-General of the Federation Old FMBN Building Area 2, Garki Abuja.
– National Steel Raw Materials Exploration Agency Kaduna
– Metallurgical Training Institute Onitsha.
– National Metallurgical Development Centre Jos.
– The West African Examination Council
– Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
– Nigerian Meteorological Agency
– National Insurance Commission (NAICOM)
– National Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA)
– Power Holding Company of Nigeria Plc. (PHCN)
– National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA)
– National Electricity Regulatory Commission
- Following the increases in the salary and allowances of workers in the Federal Public Service from 2000 to 2007, the Commission forwarded to the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, details of the corresponding increases in pension rates for consideration and approval. The Commission also forwarded to the SGF for consideration and approval, recommended remuneration package for some organizations including Nigeria Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC);Federal Ministry of Education for Teachers’ Peculiar Allowance.
- In compliance with the constitutional requirements of corresponding increase in pension of retirees anytime there is increase in salary and allowances of serving officers, the Commission has set in motion necessary facilities towards review of pension arising from 22% increase on HATISS and the sliding scale increase of 10%-4% by collection and analysis of Data received from various institutions to date. It has also set in motion the modalities for the review of the National Minimum Wage Act of 1981 by having meeting with Federal Ministry of Labour for discussion.
- The Commission also Assessed, analyzed and made recommendations to Government on the approval of Salary Structure for Federal Inland Revenue Service, Nigerian Export Promotion Council and the placement of executive secretary of Investment and Securities Tribunal on appropriate salary.
- The Commission during the period under review, on request, clarified issues relating to salaries and wages administration in the Public Service.